Who Am I?

Thoughts I'm willing to share.

Saturday, September 27, 2003

Irony

Today is the kind of day that makes me think I might live in the wrong place. That I actually belong somewhere else- 1945 maybe. This morning I took the girls to the pumpkin patch and orchard. The Apex playgroup is going on Wednesday, but I will be subbing, so I wanted to take them anyway. We found some very nice pumpkins and if Loredana had been willing to walk through the vines and leaves it would have been perfect. The Granny Smith Apple trees were overgrown with nice large apples. I got ten pounds of apples for five dollars. I am planning to bake a few things and make some caramel apples- one of my autumn favorites. Which brings me to the irony of today. The pumpkins were ripe. The apples were ready for picking it is officially autumn as of last week, however........it was ninety-nine freaking degrees today. I think it is some kind of "joke on Cheryl" who has been waiting for fall for almost two months now.
So, Emma and I cut open two of our five pumpkins, took the seeds out and toasted them- another one of my favorite autumn treats. I was sitting outside, sticking my hands in open pumpkins and realized that I don't think I EVER carved a pumpkin as a child. I'm not sure why. We lived in rural Maine and then in rural Germany for most of my childhood. How did we never carve pumpkins? The ironic part- I usually had a homemade Halloween costume. My mom sewed clown costumes, a belly dancing costume and made a Jack in the Box costume with a sewn clown costume. How did my mom have time to make-from scratch- Halloween costumes, but not the time or energy to carve pumpkins?
When I was outside sorting seeds and pulp from pumpkins I pulled from the field this morning I started thinking how, in some ways, I could live on a farm or be Amish or some kind of earthy, simple life person. It is so refreshing and energizing. I thought of God and how simple He made things and how complicated we've made them. I do yearn for simple things. I'd love to make a quilt, have a huge vegetable garden, sit by candle light more often, and spend more time with my family having days like today. The ironic part- I don't want to give up my car, or Dr. Pepper and I would have to learn how to do all of things I listed above. Learn how to sit by candlelight and be still- how ironic is that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home