Who Am I?

Thoughts I'm willing to share.

Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Sieze the Day

I wanted to blog 2 days ago, but I'm do dumb on computers I couldn't. I won't embarass myself, but I'm dumb. So before I officially begin this blog, I just wanted to say that Second Sunday this week was my favorite one. If you weren't there, I'm sorry. We ate pizza picnic style outside and the kids could run around and play. Then they had a worship session inside the chapel that felt very informal and I liked it. On to the official blog.

Yesterday was my "Day Off". Debbie, Kelly and I are each taking a day off this week. The official guidelines are that you can't take your kids with you and you have to leave the house from nine am to five pm. I didn't do anything fancy, but I did things that people without kids take for granted. I listened to the music I wanted to in the car- no "Oh Suzanna" all day! I went shopping for most of the day and I did NOT get a cart at any of the stores. It is nice to walk through aisles without waiting for people to move, so you can push the cart. I browsed the racks of clothes at a very leisurely pace. It was a nice day.

Jennifer Palmer died yesterday. I did not know her or her family. I just started reading Mark's blog as a link from Joe's blog. Kelly has been reading Mark's for a long time and we prayed for her at house church when she was first diagnosed. So, last night I read Mark's blog and bawled. I cried for close to half an hour. He said he was going to bed alone and it was scary. Reality started sinking in. Death is such a mystery. It doesn't make sense. We don't fully understand it. His blog made me think of something Doug's grandmother said to me once. Doug and I were visiting for Thanksgiving. We were just standing and holding hands in the living room. She said that one of the things she missed most about her husband was being able to hold his hand. She thought it was silly to miss such a simple thing about him. I think about that conversation often. It is very comforting to hold somebody's hand. It is familiar. It is a simple physical connection that you can do in public. It makes people uncomfortable to hold a stranger's hand for those reasons. So, having someone to go to bed with and hold hands with- these are things that death reminds of us. What would I miss most, if Doug were gone? What would I miss most about my kids? I need to find out and cherish those things everyday that I have, how ever long it is. What would you miss?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home