Who Am I?

Thoughts I'm willing to share.

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Thoughts I Am Willing to Share

The last two times I bought beer at Sam's club the checker made me, and all the people in line wait an unneccesary amount of time. Why? because each checker was not 21. Therefore, it is against the law for them to consume alcohol, purchase alcohol, and apparently SCAN alcohol. Now, I am not in favor of underage drinking. I am in favor of laws that make sense. In my opinion, people not being able to wave a scanner gun over my beer because they are 20 is a stupid law that makes no sense at all.
Exactly WHO does this law protect? These underage people are working in an establishment that sells alcohol. These people probably watch football on TV and are aware that alcohol exists. These people can sell me condoms, feminine products, knives, they can ring up spray paint (I think) even though they can't purchase it. All this law does is make the lines slower and draws attention to the fact that alcohol is considered a "bad thing". That actually motivates some people to try it because it is "against the rules".

Today I was at the bank, waiting in line. The person behind me was uncomfortably close, so I scooted up a little AND SO DID SHE! I couldn't believe it. Every time after that I would scoot up, but leave one leg kind of leaning backward to try and "defend my territory". By the time it was my turn to walk to the counter full of guaranteed personal space, I was so stressed out and uncomfortable. This is America-at least 2 feet in every direction belongs to ME. Stay away stranger!

My kids are great by the way. I'm sure if you know them you already know that. They are great. Tonight was Open House at the preschool where Loredana and Jack attend. Their preschool is absolutely the best thing ever. If you have a preschooler and they don't attend preschool there "you just made the biggest mistake of your life". (Sorry Meghann, she'll get in. Sorry Brad.) Doug and I were just watching our kids play because somehow we ended up in the not busy room. We watched them be their own individual selves. We watched them explore in the sensory table, play with little dolls, poke Mr. Potatao Head pieces into a pumpkin. Jack says, "me me" all the time, which translates "excuse me". Loredana says, "great, just great" when she is frustrated by an unexpected event. Emma just loves to laugh. It is fun to see her let go and be silly. Before we moved into the "big house" she was very reserved around other people. I'm not exactly sure if "the big house" is what has made the difference, or if it's being in school, or maybe just being older now. She really just likes to have fun. Each of them is different and unique. Each of them is a perfect fit into our family, I love them all. And I'll be keeping Doug around too. He is what calms me down and puts things into perspective-I need that a lot.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    I know I keep telling you things about Iceland you probably don't want to know but.... Here there is NO personal space. I guess it was weird at first, but now I'm use to it. They don't say, "excuse me" either. The thought is that this would interrupt the person and would require a response from them and it would be rude of you to interrupt. So, everyone just rubs on by without saying anything. You wouldn't believe how many people you can fit in a grocery store line and not even be past the candy/magazine rack. Plus, all that close contact keeps you warm...it is 30 degrees today!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home