Who Am I?

Thoughts I'm willing to share.

Friday, September 16, 2005

They're Heeeere!

It's really amazing the actual physical reaction I have to seeing them. I can't even begin to explain it. Yesterday was the first day I have seen the real ones. I mean it's really ridiculous that I get SO excited about a vegetable, but they get me every year. They're pumpkins! The plastic ones have been around for a few weeks now, but last night I ran to the store to get some eggs-we were out even though I had just been to the store the day before, and there they were in their cardboard boxes waiting to sit on a porch, offer their seeds to be toasted and eaten and the flesh to cut into absurd faces just for fun. I LOVE IT!!! I actually tried to grow some this year in my garden and I got some decent vines, even quite a few blossoms, but NO pumpkins. I went online to try and figure out my error. The paragraph about problems began with, "If you experience a heatwave over 80 degrees your vines will be in distress and my not produce fruit" Okay that explains it because until this week we hadn't really had a day UNDER 95 since May. The article went on to explain that if you lack bees then your pumpkins will not get properly pollunated and then they can't produce pumpkins. So I think it may have been a combination, but it would ahve been SO fun to watch our pumpkins grow, pick them, carve them, eat them. We will do all of those things with pumpkins from the store, or the orchard if they have a patch, last time i was there I didn't see one.

This ended up being quite long about silly pumpkins, but next time you see them, take note of your physical reaction. The site of them calms me and makes my heart skip a beat-I get instant happy. So, happy pumpkin viewing to you!

2 Comments:

  • At 12:40 PM, Blogger Tera said…

    hey cheryl, pumpkins are hard to grow in that great vegas soil and weather but we had some luck in our garden the second season they were in the ground (in las vegas)! something to look forward to next year, start counting the days :)

     
  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger Laurie O. said…

    Me too! I saw them at Kroger and thought, Great, it's that time of year! Now you should make yer blog color orange. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home