Who Am I?

Thoughts I'm willing to share.

Saturday, September 04, 2004

Home School

I have debated with myself on whether or not to write a post on this subject. I have decided to do it and will probably regret it. I do not have one single homeschool workbook or "how to" guide, however I consider myself (and most other parents) a homeschool parent. We read, investigate, go on "field trips". They do "work" they ask for help with and advice on and approval of and what not. It's just plain parenting, which is a large responsibility.
I take my children to the doctor for well checks and when I think they are ill. I take primary care of their health and medical needs. I take primary care of their educational needs as well, but I am willing to consult the experts in the field on a regular basis- especially when they are offering their services to me with no copays expected. The schools my children attend supplement the education they receive at home. They are better equipped with supplies than I am home. They have "toys" we do not. They sing songs we do not know. They read books we have never heard of before. They have a variety of muscial instruments I do not have access to or the funds to purchase. (However, we do have instruments at home and they get played often-especially when Kenny busts out the guitar.) They have tumbling mats, basketball courts, baseball diamonds- I do not, nor do I have enough players to play these games. I am pretty sure that Emma would never actually play football, hockey, baseball and who knows what else if she did not attend school. She may not love those sports after she learns the basics of them, but she has been exposed to them. Exposure to multiple points of view and experiences helps to make a person "well rounded". I would say that that is one of my goals in sending them to school- to aid in their well roundedness.

I know- What about all the horrible, dreadful, terrible things they are exposed to? My basic answer to that question is 1. it's not as horrible, dreadful and terrible and you may want to believe and 2. bad things mold us, change us, and "round" us out as much or more than the good things. Last year, Emma was invited to a birthday party for a girl in her class. She said she did not want to go. I knew the little girl because I helped in her class in a regular basis. I knew that this particular little girl was loud and bossy. Emma had experienced her enough to make that determination. I think that is a good characteristic to have. I think she can't learn that from a book or by being around children on a limited basis (an hour or so a week). She is learning that there are many kinds of people in the world. Some she will enjoy and others she won't. I can take Emma to 7-11 with a dollar and let her chose something. It's not the same as giving her a dollar to keep safe and determine how to spend it at the "Snack Bar" at school-without me looking over her shoulder. She is in a controlled environment making personal decisions about the person she is. She takes what she has learned at home and has a "playground" to try it out on. She has other adults, besides her parents, responding to her in a positive way.
My final thought is this: whatever educational avenue you choose- be involved in it. Be active. Know what is going on.
Before you comment- and I welcome your comments- please do not lump me or anyone else in with parents who sit their kids in front of the TV 24-7 and send them to Kindergarten without a clue as to what a pair of scissors is. AND I will not lump you (home school parents) in with poor psychologically unstable women who drown their children in the bathtub.

8 Comments:

  • At 6:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Tests. Don't forget those! Amen to the system! :)

     
  • At 10:30 PM, Blogger Tera said…

    let's not allow this be ANOTHER way to divide us as a community. i do however think it is unfair to say that going to school makes our children capable of learning about different people and discerning their good and bad characteristics. i personally know both public school and homeschooled children who are not "well-rounded", in my opinion this appears to be more about parenting than schooling. my preschoolers are more observant and aware of the people around them than i am--they care to get to know you-my job as i see it is to encourage this natural desire to be social and listen to their instincts about others in this world.

     
  • At 10:52 PM, Blogger Sherry said…

    You have some very valid points.

    I just feel that as a parent we are responible for our children in every way. In my opinion, not all things that children learn at school are a benifit. Especially when they are learning those things from a peer who has parents with crappy morals. However, I see teachers as people who are willing to take the time to educate those who are willing to learn and who are not given the opportunity to do so at home.

    Also,

    There are certain subjects that I feel are not going to benifit my children because of the way the subject is taught. Evolution being the major one I have a problem with. I want my children to learn evolution, but as a scienific theory, not a scientific fact. History would be another. I see the Bible as a History book worthy of learning from, yet you can't find it in any classroom unless you put your children in a private school, and then you have to pay for it. Why?

    And,

    In my opinion, there is more than one way to look at a subject, yet schools seem to try to force teachers to stick to one way, one method and one speed of teaching.
    Children are all different, and learn at different rates and in different ways.

    Another issue I have,

    Testing might show you where a child is at, but it's sometimes twisted into a way to define who they are. Same with grades.I find that sad and frustrating.

    Teachers have a hard job, and I respect what most are out there trying to do. I just choose a different way,not because I think I can shelter my children from the world, but because I have different views of education.

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love you and your comments are so truthfull, It's nice to read such informational info from my friend.
    Loretta

     
  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger The Hubbard Family said…

    Back when we had some political debates in our communities' blogs, I posted the exact same words that I am now copying below. I offer these thoughts with equal love to all of you involved in this discussion:

    "For me, at least, the problem when there are two polarized opposite views of things is usually not that one is right and the other is wrong, but that the question being asked is a false one. I apply this principle to a number of things in my life (I refuse to be a democrat or a repulican, a catholic or a protestant, etc.) because I believe that truth is bigger than a polarized dichotomy. That may be idealistic of me, but usually when we argue opposite sides of a question, it is the question that is truly flawed, not the two answers that have emerged. I say all this with the caveat that this is my opinion. Take it for what it's worth!"

    Much love,

    Greg

     
  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger tommy said…

    And whats the deal with homework? You ain't workin on your home.

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    of course i want a chance to comment, but i'm going to post it on my blog. www.amycarder.blogspot.com

    meghann,
    i do have to say that one of the big reasons i homeschool is because of the way i feel about testing. having to teach to a test is a horrible way to educate....just my stinky opinion.

     
  • At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh what a brave woman you are- found your blog thru Laura's biday gift and bang you sure got my attention. Been there, done that, all ways. Private school, charter school, magnet school, homeschool, regular public school. Nobody knows my kids like I do, nobody knows what they need like I do and right now, I have decided they all need public school. That is where they are. yep, there are flaws for sure. Hats off to any parent who is involved enough in their kids education to be making choices. Who am I to judge what is best for your kid? Great post.I will return. Anj @http://bestandworst.typepad.com/bestandworst/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home