Who Am I?

Thoughts I'm willing to share.

Sunday, August 01, 2004

Church Family


Today, Loredana was admitted to the hospital. Today was the Parker Family Baby BBQ (which I was kind of supposed to be in charge of but- failure). Anyway, not the point of this blog.
Today I was reminded of what real church is. Not "what time", not "where is it", not "how do you do such and such".

Today, I was a mental, emotional DISASTER. I am sorry if I didn't tell you about Loredana, or I tried not to tell you. I didn't want to be crying in front of everybody everytime some one asked, but what I wanted more than anything was to be somewhere having a really good cry. OR I wanted to go around acting like everything was normal. (Remember my blog about asking for help when you need it- I still suck, willy badly- as Loredana would put it. However, my church stepped up. That's right I said, "my church". You see we all like to confuse and segment and classify. You can't do that so easily when family is involved. When something happens in a family all the members are influenced-good or bad. My church family was influenced by the fact that Loredana is in the hospital and Kenny & Kelly are about to have a baby. People showed up early, ran to the store, babysat, made beds, cut food, cooked food whatever needed to be done. They adjusted their lives to help, as all good families do in times of crisis and celebration.
Families change their structure. They add people. Occasionally they lose people to death. People within a family might change their name and not call themselves something that they once did, but they are still part of the family. People within a family might move to a different house to live (or "worship") in, but they are still part of the family. They are still part of the "church family".
If you held my baby, cut vegetables, cleaned the kitchen, cooked, took pictures, wrote lists, cleaned the floor on my week, watched my kids, prayed in a large or small group for my daughter, missed us at a birthday party, or did anything else to make my life easier this weekend-you are my church. You are my family. I love you. I thank you. I hope I can be there for you when you need it.
Now I need to go write 21 report cards and get some sleep.

Loredana update- hopefully, she is coming home tomorrow.


2 Comments:

  • At 12:07 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    Cheryl,
    I didn't know Loradana was in the hospital before tonight. We will be praying for her and your family. Please, if there is ANYTHING you need, let me know. -Amy

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Blogger Tera said…

    cheryl, i just wanted you to know that your church family is bigger than you think--at the gathering, a few of us prayed for loredana & your family--don't suck, just ASK-we are ALL here to do whatever you need & want nothing more than for you to feel loved and supported!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home