Who Am I?

Thoughts I'm willing to share.

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Ice Cream on a Hot Day
 
On my way to work I stopped at the convenience store for a fountain Dr. Pepper (my favorite beverage to which I am incredibly addicted).  I go to that particular store often because it is close to my school and the drinks are cheap. Today when I walked in I noticed a different smell- BO- BAD BO. I got my drink, but was unable to locate where the smell was coming from. I got in line and someone was practically racing me to the counter- it was the owner of the odor. In his hand he had one of those Ben and Jerry size cartons ( a pint I think) of Haagan Daz ice cream. Even though there were two people in line in front of him, he asked the girl behind the counter how much the ice cream cost. "$3.79" He turned to go back to the ice cream freezer when she said, " No it's $1.79" I have NEVER seen ANYONE so happy about ice cream before- and I live in a house with 6 kids. I stood behind him watching his excitement and counting his money multiple times (2 one dollar bills and some change). I wondered if the girl behind the counter lied about the price. I wonder if it actually was $3.79. (after all, a jar of baby food there costs 99 cents- twice as much as a grocery store) And it was Haagan Daz--- not Blue Bunny. I want to believe she did lie. She made his whole day- it was 106 degrees today.
After he paid (he also bought a pack of Speariment gum- the cheap 25 cent kind) he asked if they had spoons. "On the microwave." He skipped over there and then practically RAN out of the store.
This poor guy (not to mention the minimum wage clerk) has restored my faith in humanity- sort of. I tend to be a pessimistic person, and even when I give homeless people money I don't feel good about it because I am just sure that they are using it for drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes- but not this guy, not today. Today, it was ice cream- what a beautiful thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home