Who Am I?

Thoughts I'm willing to share.

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Random

I am just waiting for Doug to get from work. He just got off and still has to drive all the way home. I decided to blog to keep myself awake-I'm not 100% sure what I'm blogging about, except that I do have thoughts throughout the day, most days, that I consider blogging about. Here are some of them from recent history:

FIRST TOPIC: I heard a story on KNPR (public radio) about Catholics back east camping out in their churches to keep them from being closed. Apparently because of recent events and changes in population etc that some of the Catholic Churches need to be closed because of financial issues etc.. AND in the story, there was one congregation that has gotten the Diases (I"m not sure of the spelling) to agree to keep their building open. BUT they won't leave because they don't trust the leadership to keep their word. They are afraid if they leave, the building will be closed. Because of where I am about "church" I just don't get it. Why don't they take their friends from their old congregation and go to another Catholic Church? They are camping out with these people like 24/7. What is it about these buildings? Then (this is an assumption on my part) but it seems like they are probably pretty strong Catholics. They are sticking with their denomination through all this sex scandal stuff, John Paul II dying, and financial hardship. But at the same time that they are defending it, not turning away from it, they openly admit they don't trust the leadership.
Right now I am thinking about a line from _When Harry Met Sally_. Sally says, " I miss the idea of him." (him being exboyfriend) and Harry says, "Maybe I only miss the idea of Helen, no , I miss the whole Helen." It's random I know, but maybe these people miss the idea of their church/faith. What am I trying to say? I'm not sure-it made sense to me a few minutes ago.

NEXT TOPIC: The other day the weather report said, "Clear skies with occasional smoke." The sky was brown the entire day. You could not see any mountains or clouds or blue or buildings on the strip. You could see brown. There was nothing "occasional" about it.

NEXT TOPIC: We have lived in Las Vegas for 20 years. We have lots of friends. That is great. It is difficult to keep up with everyone as well as we would like, but it's great. Despite that fact, we had no plans for the Fourth of July. Marie and I kind of talked about doing something small and informal here at the house. Easy, we don't have to go anywhere etc.. We are still in the planning stages and then today I got two phone calls from different groups of people we know inviting us to spend the Fourth with them. I am really just beginning to think that Communal Neighborhood is the only way to go. Holidays, birthdays, block parties, neighborhood watch, playgroups etc... But really, the only way to make my life as simple as I would like would be for EVERYBODY I know to move into a neighborhood with me (say in 3 years?). I mean everybody, unless you just want to drive to my neighborhood and have your kids' birthday party there-it's late, give me a break.

NEXT TOPIC: "Sunscream" -Loredana ; "Calepidder"-Emma; "No" (complete with head shakes"- Jack when he means YES.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Okay. and now for my long-awaited Catholic comments. (yeah right!) Anyway.From age five to 13 I attended mass at LEAST once a week. I also attended a Catholic school from Kindergarden-6th grade and participated in all of the sacrements leading up to that point. A Catholic Church is considered to be a literal house of God. This is why you don't chew gum, why you bless yourself with holy water, genuflect etc. There is a candle that is consistantly burning near the tabernacle which holds the eucharist which represents that God is there. We have one at the lutheran building too. I remember when I was in first grade our church burnt down. It was the church I was baptized in and the one where my parents, aunts and uncles had their first communion. It was a HUGE deal. If our church had no formal building to meet in we'd, well we'd do what it is that we do now. It wouldn't matter to us. When I first started going to Apex and we met in a cafeteria with folding chairs it was hard for me to believe God was there even after 6 years of not practicing Catholocism. Catholics treat God as their King. Not that we don't, but in doing that they feel that he needs a fitting home. I personally think God is just as honored to be in my heart or to be spoken of on a street corner as he is in a multi-million dollar building with imported italian stained glass windows. I think I just rambled, but maybe I helped it makes some sense from their perspective. I actually feel bad that they don't realize the things we do, but I understand it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home