Who Am I?

Thoughts I'm willing to share.

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Sing the Friends Theme Song here..............


Did you sing it? I was going to type the words but they elude me at the moment.

I've been pondering friendship for about a month now. Not a particular friendship, but friends in general. Doug and I had recently been talking about moving to another state where we know no one. We have several groups of friends and it is very difficult to keep up. We are constantly making plans to spend time with people that we rarely see. Wishing we could spend more time with people. For example: we had at least 4 different invitations for Christmas Eve with different groups of people- some of them family and we had 3 possible places to spend New Year's Eve. These left us with difficult choices. We love all these people, but there is only so much time and energy to go around. (Not to mention the fact that we are both incredibly lazy home bodies who desperately need time to be left alone to chill.)

We spent both Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve with the same beloved group of people: our oldest friends. The friends that knew us before we were married, while we were in Amway, visited all three of our kids in the hospital. They worked with us and played with us for over 15 years now- we were 16 years old 15 years ago. Needless to say, they are special people to us. We rarely see them, usually once or twice a year. We always have a blast. We always say that we should get together more often. They always accept us no matter what crazy life choices we make. Their kids accept our kids into play like they are old, comfortable friends even though they rarely play together. I was sitting in the living room this morning taking all the love in the room in. I ( my husband and kids too) are unconditionally loved by these people- that is a rare thing, very rare. How can it be? We don't see them. We don't spend time with them. I don't get "it."

Like I said, I had already been thinking about friendship during the holiday season. I don't understand how friendships are really formed. I don't really understand how friendships are broken or how people drift apart. I don't understand how friends can be as close or closer than family. I don't understand why it is easy with some and difficult with others. I don't understand why some of the things I have in common with people are more or less important then other things I have in common with people. I don't understand how I'm supposed to divide my time to maintain the friendships that are all so important to me.

I know that I have lots of friends- good friends, good people. I know that I am loved. I know that I am accepted for who I am right now, who I used to be and whoever I might become.

I know that right now, on January 1, 2005............. I don't ever want to move away from Las Vegas because that's where my friends are.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:23 PM, Blogger Tera said…

    thanks for the tears-that was beautiful. my closest friend and her daughter have been staying with us the last couple of nights while her husband is out of town and i thought of their family as i read about your friends, we (our families) love each other unconditionally and without effort. my advice, don't move if you don't have to--what you have is rare and heaven sent--it is tearing me apart beyond words that we are moving.

     
  • At 2:29 AM, Blogger MrH said…

    Cheryl,
    I am glad to hear that you don't want to move away. I feel a closeness to you that I don't understand, being we don't see or talk to each other all that much. However, I always feel so comfortable with you. Hey, this is a new year and I hope you all get enough home body time and are able to see and spend time with as many people as you would like.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home