Who Am I?

Thoughts I'm willing to share.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

I Wouldn't Want to be a Used Car Salesman

I actually wouldn't want to be anything having to do with car sales. We bought a used car tonight. It is cute and small. We needed to replace the little truck we've been borrowing from Doug's parents. We have spent most of our free time since Saturday working on this purchase in one way or another. We've been to so many dealerships and driven so many different types of cars and researched cars on Kelly Blue Book and Consumer's Report. In the end we ended up with a fuel efficient hatchback import that can squeeze our entire family in when necessary.

Tuesday night I actually felt sorry for this salesman on the test drive. I was sick of doing test drives on cars I pretty much knew I didn't want before we drove them. But it occurred to me that this salesman does however many test drives a week-the same route. His income is dependent on people liking and buying cars. That would suck.

It would suck a little worse to have the job of straight out lying to people. The test drive guys are usually nice and at least appear helpful. The guy inside the building has the responsibility of lying-lying good so people believe his BS and pay more for cars than they should. We had guys tell us we could buy a brand new Nissan Van for around $12,000-just let him show us the numbers-we walked out before he could come back with the nonexistent numbers. We had another guy INSISTING that our kids didn't need air conditioning in the back of van. He suggested that we just allow the van to cool off before we put the kids in. FYI cars do NOT cool off in Las Vegas in July without air conditioning, WITH air conditioning you can still be uncomfortable. Yeah, I wouldn't want the "lie to people" job. I'm pretty sure they would fire me anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home