Who Am I?

Thoughts I'm willing to share.

Thursday, January 01, 2004

Happy New Year!

This was one of my favorite New Year's Eves ever. For the last eleven years we have gone to a dinner party with friends. It started out as a party that we were invited to that consisted of "adults" we knew- we were teenagers working in the same daycare as several of them. When we were "adults" too- 19- we were invited. We hung out with these friends ALL THE TIME. We worked together, we played together, we ate together. We were together all the time, but New Years was special. We all dressed up and Mike- a chef- made fancy, delicious food. It is not really that way anymore. Some things are, but some are not.
We still dress up- sort of- no tuxes; we still eat fancy food that Mike works hard on and we are always amazed. But we don't hang out all the time anymore. Doug and I especially hardly see these friends that we spent our entire early twenties with. However, I always look forward to New Years because even though our lives aren't so intertwined anymore they are still our friends. (I think that was part of the original New Year's party anyway- to commit to seeing each other at least that once a year.)
Over the years there have been lots of different people at different New Year's celebrations. It always makes me a little sad to share my friends that I never see with strangers I've never met. This year was small. This year was only people from the old "group". A lot of people were missing for whatever reasons. In any case, we talked about music, movies, food, Star Wars, games, kids, life. We caught up with each other. It was glorious for me. I loved it. I spent New Years with some of my oldest and dearest friends and next year it will be the same- I wouldn't want it any other way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home