Who Am I?

Thoughts I'm willing to share.

Monday, November 03, 2003

Heidi was Right

So, it's cold outside. About as cold as it's going to get in November. I wore a sweater today in Las Vegas. Heidi said it would be cold on Halloween- she was right. The kids toughed it out for Trick or Treating. They were well rewarded.
I am SO Clark Griswold. I carved a pumpkin and loved it. I couldn't wait to change the decorations for Thanksgiving. I am already making plans for house and family for the upcoming holidays. That's right plural. If you go in any store you would think there is only one holiday coming up- Christmas. What happened to Thanksgiving? Kelly keeps calling it the forgotton holiday and it certainly is. I don't have that many Thanksgiving decorations, so I decided to buy some. Guess what? I can't find any. The stores are plastered with Christmas stuff. Where are all the Turkeys, Indians, Pilgrims, Cornucopias??? Thanksgiving- That's a "Christian" quality right? I was at the Family bookstore, so I asked the clerk if they had any Thanksgiving videos for my kids. He looked at me like I was insane, like what the heck would anybody ever do with a Thanksgiving video? Does that mean the VeggieTales doesn't have a Thanksgiving Video? I think it is an important holiday. According to Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving- the United States was the first country to dedicate a day to giving thanks. Really? Well, we sure aren't giving thanks in 2003. We're too busy planning Christmas, deciding what to ask for, and buying presents to be thankful for what we already have and how we're going to pay for the gifts we want to give others. I want to make Thanksgiving memorable for my children. I want them to be thankful. I want them to realize that there is actually a holiday between "Get Free Candy Day" and "What are you gonna buy me Day". I decided to buy a magazine to get some craft ideas for my kids to aid in my celebration of the "forgotten holiday". There aren't any magazines. The magazines all have Christmas ideas plastered all over the covers except for .......at the very bottom...... "A Stress Free Thanksgiving" article. What????? Stress Free... according to our culture there is nothing to stress about. There isn't even a holiday that has any meaning except food and football. (I know I'm ranting, but I got the weather I wanted, so I've moved on to something else that I can complain about.) Anyway, if you have any great Thanksgiving ideas for my family or our community, please feel free to email me at dcitizen@cox.net.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home