Who Am I?

Thoughts I'm willing to share.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

I Couldn't Keep Waiting for Darren R.


So Darren and I both blogged on April 23. I've thought of blogging, but haven't. Then I kept comforting myself by the fact that Darren hadn't reblogged either. THEN I decided I wouldn't blog again until he did....but really-two weeks is a long time!

I have been enjoying my gardening this year. Last year was just so much work with all the bigger than softball sized rocks I had to dig out. This year there were less rocks. I'm assuming that's because I probably dug them out last year. Anyway, every time I do work in the garden my thoughts are usually drawn to God. I think He does that on purpose. I think it's important for us to be out there experiencing His creation. I think I have a much better understanding of parables about weeds and rocky soil-FOR SURE- and mustard seeds than I would if I didn't get my hands in God's dirt.

Tonight I was walking up and down the garden admiring all the different things growing there. Grapevine, peach trees, sunflowers, tomatoes, daisies-yes, daisies that I planted some time last year and never saw them. Then this year-boom-daisies! Then I saw a couple of sunflowers growing among the wildflowers. I planted those last summer too, but they never grew and I decided that there must not have been enough water for them there. But they just weren't ready until now. I also have a pumpkin plant that is growing where I planted the tomatoes this year. I planted those pumpkins last summer and never got a single pumpkin. Who would have thought that there were still seeds resting in the soil waiting for God to tell them to grow.

So, I have realized that in gardening and spiritual matters I have the same amount of responsibility/control. I need to be tossing seeds and fertilizer and water around. I need to remove rocks-as much as I hate that both in gardening and life. I have to live the best gardener life I can, however.... God is in control. He will decide what grows when if at all. No matter how much time, energy and resources I put into growing those watermelon plants- I just may never see a watermelon (bigger or less bitter than the golf ball sized one from September). That's a little frustrating, a lot sad, and unbelievably freeing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home