Who Am I?

Thoughts I'm willing to share.

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Watch Out, Cheryl's on a Soap Box.

* I witnessed by first circumcision yesterday---- yeah, whatever. Jack seems to be recovering fine, but whatever.

Health Insurance

*The main reason I am back to work part time is to provide health insurance for our family. I have done a 180 degree turn politically on this issue after trying to be a stay at home mom and having a not even two year old who is UNINSURABLE. She doesn't have cancer or AIDS.
* I have some friends who recently needed to purchase their own health insurance policy. They finally got approved with all these restrictions and conditions. Anything anyone in their family had seen a doctor for in the last two years was not going to be covered.
* When I went to get Jack turned there was a 29 week pregnant woman in triage with me who was experiencing bleeding. She had no insurance because her husband had changed jobs. She probably had a premature baby that day with NO prenatal care, but 6-8 weeks in ICU with no insurance. Talk about stress.
* Today, I took Jack to get his second PKU blood work done. A girl was called to the counter. They asked if she had insurance. She didn't. They told her she would have to pay up front. When they figured up her total it was $1600. She couldn't pay it. They asked if she could pay half. She couldn't. She left without getting whatever tests her doctor had ordered. It seems like $1600 worth of tests might be important. She could have a terminal illness but can't afford the TESTS- how will she be able to get treatment? She won't.
* How can the insurance companies just do whatever the hell they want? How can they say that a one year old is uninsurable because she MAY require a surgical procedure? How can they simply refuse to cover the only medical reasons you even go to the doctor? How can they deny you insurance because you are an expectant FATHER and they don't want to cover your baby when it is born?
Money.
Our country has plenty of it. We are very wasteful. Our government is very wasteful. People, working people, children, elderly people are suffering. Shouldn't health care be about health care? Caring for sick people.


While I'm up here................

The Apex Exodus- I don't get it. I wish I did, but I don't. Sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home